Friday, August 04, 2006

Burton, Ohio

What a relief, finished off the 7 days of constant riding. It was quite hard on me although I rode pretty strong the whole time. A little over 550 miles in 1 week!! Plus we threw in a few other bits of entertainment during this week.

On day, we rode thru Topeka, Indiana, A small Amish town, had lunch @ a small pharmacy/sandwich shop. Talked for about 30 minutes with Amish farmer outside of the store. He had lots of questions for us and we for him. A very kind and pleasant man and his 7-8 y/o son. Was quite a eye opener to meet someone from such a different "walk of life". Stayed in Kendleville @ a park beside the lake, worse night of the trip as far as I was concerned!!! Damn skeeters absolutely ate me alive. Went out of my tent @ about 0100, to pee, got bitten over 20 times in 1 minute and then they followed me into my tent. There are over 20 bloody smears on the inside of my tent where I squished the little mother scratchers after they had their way with me, I lay there itching and swearing, praying for daylight so I could ride like the wind to escape the bastards!!!!

Day 37 lead us to into Ohio. Feeling very strong on the bike and able to sustain over 15 mph average for all 75 miles. Stayed @ fairgrounds in Napoleon. Moon had bet with the staff that he could tow Mark (staff) on his rolllerblades with his bike! He towed him 2 laps around fairgrounds and Paula had to fork over a case of beer! It was Dennis' birthday so we celebrated that also, hey, any reason to drink is a good reason!

Day 38; Arrived in Sandusky, OH. after 91 miles. Was feeling rested today, finally, after a good night of sleep. About 1/2 way thru day as we were smoking along @ 20-23 mph, I aspirated a very large, black, bug. I was coughing, spitting, and gagging as we flew down road. The trouble was we had just stopped for a cherry slurpee and I was puking that up as I rode. Luckily the bug didn't make it into my lungs and as there was no one behind me there were no red stained riders behind me!!! Sandusky is the home of Cedar Point Amusement Park, it has some of the best rollercoasters in the world! We took a shuttle out there and had way to much fun until 2300 @ night. One of the coasters had the record for the tallest and biggest drop, another went from 0 to 190 mph in 4 sec, what a scream!!

Day 39; To Burton, OH. Left Sandusky and rode thru Cleveland to Burton. Started the day slowly, stopped @ the first Mc Donalds we came to, 10 miles. Moon and Rick the Tick stopped right after me. Rick woke feeling bad and thought about sagging today. Moon talked him out of it and we told him we would tow him the rest of the day. It was cool, we had a slight tail wind and Moon and I took turns pulling for 40 miles, we averaged 19.9 mph for that time and poor Rick hung on the back, I would occasionally hear him cough and gag but he swore he was OK! The last 5 miles Moon and Rick took a detour to a neighboring town to rent a car so we could return to Cleveland for the night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home