Thursday, August 10, 2006

Gettysburg, PA.

Day43; Washington to Confluence, PA.
As noted it was an interesting morning, we got the "stink eye" from everyone including the staff. We were to "looped" to care. @ mile 37 (of 96.11 miles) we rode onto a rails to trails trail all the way into Confluence. It was a really neat ride, crushed rock and hard packed gravel, along the Youghiogheny river. The old rail bed followed a gentle grade up and along the river, thru hardwood forests, along the rocky bluffs. It really reminded me of the movie "Deliverence" and @ times I swore I heard banjo music!! Rick was hanging on the back of our paceline and hollered up to me that there was no way that we were going to drop him because he feared for his life way back in the woods! We rode into Connellsville, where a previous bike rider and his family had cold drinks, chips, sandwiches, and pie for us, what a treat. I sat for quite a while and just relaxed, then took out on the trail by myself. Got pretty sleepy, full belly, warm sun, and short night. Layed down on a bench along the trail and took a nice nap for about 30 min. Felt much better after power nap! I arrived in Confluence about 1530, set up camp and showered. Great supper of BBQ ribs and chicken. Tried to call Norma but no reception, we were camped out in a State Park, just below a big dam, in a narrow valley. Got on my bike and rode into town holding onto my cellphone. About 1/2 way across the river bridge I got 1/2 of a bar and connected with Norma. Talked for 1-2 minutes and then lost service, damn! Put up my rainfly on tent, looked like rain.

Day44; Confluence to Bedford, PA.
@ 0545 it started to rain just as everyone was picking up camp, we are far enough south now that the sun doesn't come up till almost 0630, so it was still dark out! I stayed in my tent until it let up, some of the early risers, the people I have come to despise, got pretty wet. Serves them right!!! I did have my best night of sleep so far on the trip, must be getting used to the hard ground, great, since we are almost done . Once I got on the road my legs were still like noodles and it took me a while to get warmed up. Stayed on the r to t trail for 33 miles. Rode past the Flight 93 Memorial just outside of Shanksville, stopped @ the crash site and then stayed for almost 45 minutes. I was surprised how I was affected emotionally, the "vibes" there were very heavy with anger, hopelessness, and angst. I sat @ a bench and just stared out @ the flag that marks the actual point of impact in the middle of the field of grass. I had tears in my eyes and I just sat there reflecting. I still tear up when I think of being there. Finished the 81.83 miles and arrived @ Bedford @ a large campground. Rode right past the Cannondale Bike factory on way to camp. Did a load of wash, ate dinner, washed the grime and grit from the trail off Bullet, and talked with Norma, it had been 3 days since we had a decent conversation.

Day 45; Bedford to Gettysburg, PA.
This is our "Final Exam" according to the staff, a very hilly century. Out of camp @ 0630, packed up using headlamp for light. Had slept good and was feeling great! Had b-fast @ Mc D's with Kevin and Norm. It was in fact the hilliest day of the trip, passed over the Allegheny and Appalachian mountains, nothing like the spectacular Rockies but consistently long, steep climbs. I glad I was in such good shape otherwise it would have been a really long day. Felt strong and had good day, 100.92 miles . When we arrived @ the Gettysburg Middle School there were 2005 riders there to greet us with food and drink, thanks a ton guys!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home