Thursday, August 10, 2006

Last Rest Day!

Gettysburg, PA.
Set up camp, and then showered in Middle school gym locker room, most riders had motels so the few of us that were camping used the shower in the coach's office. Walked down town to The Pub and had sandwich and BEER, yah, I know, more beer. Always a reward for a hard days ride!! Moon, Justin, and I walked about 2 miles to find the "happening" bar in town, it was dead, so we walked back to The Pub. Mark told us of a bar called Mama's that was 1/2 block away and down the alley, we walked there and settled in for a while. I spent almost 30 min sitting and talking with the guy watching the door, learned a lot about Gettysburg and the area. After a while the more adventurous Big Riders came in to drink with us. Moon was in a particularly foul mood due to his uncertain future when he got back home, and left early. Justin followed soon after but met a "local" and had an adventure of his own!!! The party didn't last long and I was back @ the camp, showered (all the cigarette smoke made me stink), and in my tent by midnight.

Up @ 0830, remember this is sleeping in for this trip, I felt great and hopped on my bike to get something to eat and do some sightseeing. Found a great local diner, had greasy omelet and pancakes. Rode up the street and came across a Walmart, where I had my pictures transferred to CD's. It was a gray day and was sprinkling a little. I then rode out thru the Battlefield National Park, it was pretty amazing to pedal my bike amongst all the monuments and statues. Of course I stopped @ most of them to read the information on them. About 1500 Moon called me on my cell, he was washing clothes @ the laundromat and was walking next door to grab a bite to eat @ a Mexican restaurant. I rode over to meet him, then Justin came, and just as we finished Dave W. Came in so we sat and BS'd until Dave had eaten. On the way back to camp we rode by a small bar, Hamilton's Tavern. The only way we knew it was a tavern was a small sign hanging outside and 1 beer sign in the window, otherwise it was just another door in a row of small apartments in an old brick building. Interesting place and while we were there, about 6 hrs, there were probably only 6 other patrons that came and went. We were the barkeep's main entertainment! Rode back to camp and dove into my tent, a nice and cool night, slept like a baby!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home