Sunday, June 11, 2006

2 weeks!!!!

It's getting close, 2 weeks till the ride. Almost got everything ready, have gotten enough pledges to make my goal, take Bullet in this week for her final tune up, have all my bike gear purchased, and just a little final shopping left. Am getting pretty excited. Have been commuting every day and am averaging between 100-150 miles per week. My knee is stiff when I walk but I forget it was even injured when I ride, some kind of therapy I guess!

I would really like to send out a special thank you for all of you that donated to my cause, money came from unexpected people and places and I really appreciate all your charity. It is tough to ask people for money but this is going to a good cause.

I am a little bummed because with my injury and working extra shifts I wasn't able to do any of the organized rides after my injury, I was scheduled to have done 6-7 100mi + rides before the Big Ride but only ended up with 2 of them. I will have 1000 miles this spring though, so I should be ready. I am concerned and Norma keeps questioning whether I can do the 1st day, it is the climb from Seattle up over the Cascade mountains. It will be tough, we do a fair share of riding on I-90 and traffic will be a concern also. I am confident I can make it fine.

Work has been nuts, summer is here, our #'s are up for both ERs and I have been picking up extra shifts. I have worked 70 hrs this last week and am getting tired. I will really enjoy my 48 days away from whiny, sick people. Speaking of work, took care of a guy last week that was out on his early morning training ride (a triathalete), was doing 40 mph downhill on his new Scott carbon frame bike (somewhere around $5000) and t-boned a deer. The bike exploded with the impact, he rolled down the road like a rag doll. Broke his Bell helmet into pieces (it's shape was still intact) he had lost a couple of teeth and road rash all over his body but those were his only injuries. Man a good helmet sure pays for it's self.

Will post again soon as time is getting short!!!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger J. said...

First, glad the knee is rideable, and that you've managed some miles since that bastard wounded you.

Second, be sure to take 'before' and 'after' pictures. I'm interested to see if there's a noticable difference in them after all that riding.

Third, the story about the guy and the deer literally made my jaw drop. Wow.

Plus: I gotta start using t-bone as a verb.

Best of luck on the ride, of course. Glad you're getting close to launch and I hope you have a blast. And take lots of pictures.

4:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home