Sunday, July 02, 2006

On the road

Well it has taken me almost 1 full week to get on this and send out some info. I am updating this 7/2 @ 1600 in Thompson Falls, Mt. in the High School computer lab, just finished riding and am doing a quick update prior to going to the showers. All is well and we are having a HOOT!

Norma and I arrived Seattle @ about 2100 Sat. night, checked into hotel and then walked down to the Pike Brewery, drinks and appetizer and then walked back up to the hotel. Bed about 0100, pretty tired.
Sunday June 25th, got up @ about 1000, walked down to the market and had breakfast in Kells Irish pub while watching the world cup, it just doesn't get much better than that. @ about 1500 we met Big Riders and family @ one of the city parks, had orientation and safety meeting. Picked up our jerseys and had supper. Monday June 26th, up @ 0400 and to the start a little late. Made the pictures and opening ceremony but got on the road late and I left my lunch in the car. Got lost right away, but 2005 Big Rider showed us the way and we were off! Climbed up Snoqualmie Pass in 100 degree, clear sunny day. Hotter than the hinges of hell!!!! About 1/2 way up the climb Norma came by on I-90, stopped and gave me my lunch and some cold water. She was giving another rider's friend a ride up to the campground where he was meeting his friends, he had had a flat and it was too hot and loud on I-90 to fix it there. Had lunch @ the Summit Pancake House. Camped @ Easton State Park, had a great meal provided by 2005 Riders and some cold beer. In tent by 2100, dead tired.

Didn't sleep too well and was up @ 0430, have been used to sleeping only 4-5 hrs a day because I was working so much and commuting, so @ 4-5 hrs after going to bed I am waking up, which means I am up way before the sun!!! On Tuesday 6/27 we rode from Easton to Vantage, 76 miles, started in the mountains and ended up in the desert of central WA. @ the Columbia river. Another blazingly hot day, finished the ride in a 7 mile downhill into a 20-25 mph headwind with temp of 123 degrees on my bike computer. Felt like riding into a jet engine. Cold beer and burger in Vantage never tasted so good! Camped there on the banks of the river in 25 mph wind all night, another restless night.

Plan to be back later to catch up the rest of this week, off to the showers, I am crusty with salt and smelling "pretty funky" right now.

2 Comments:

Blogger Scout Seventeen said...

Hooray, Larry!

I'm so glad you're making reports from the road. This whole entry made me smile. I don't know how it is for the rest of the country, but the heat is slowly fading in the Pacific Northwest. Hopefully it isn't moving East with you guys!

Have fun. I can't wait to hear more.

9:51 AM  
Blogger J. said...

Wow. The ride sounds amazing - and hot. 123 degrees is a full 10 degrees hotter than I've ever been - and I weren't riding no bike thru it.

Helluva thing, man. Glad to hear it's all going well (minus the heat and too-little sleep, I imagine). And I hope it continues to.

Best.

11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home